Thursday, April 3, 2025

Selena’s Killer’s Brother Says the Singer Wasn’t the Planned Victim

Armando Saldívar, brother of convicted killer Yolanda Saldívar, claims there’s more to the story behind Selena Quintanilla-Perez’s death.

In an exclusive Telemundo interview, Armando suggested Selena’s 1995 shooting was actually an attack meant for Yolanda, not the singer.

“The truth is that something happened here that was [meant] for Yolanda and not for Selena,” Armando said in Spanish around the 24-second mark in the video linked above.

When pressed for more details, Armando wouldn’t say more but claimed, “If the public knew the truth, they wouldn’t like it.”

The “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” singer was shot and killed on March 31, 1995, at the Days Inn Motel in Corpus Christi, Texas by Yolanda, her former fan club president. Selena was just 23 years old.

Yolanda, now 64, has always insisted on her innocence, claiming Selena’s death was accidental and that she actually intended to take her own life.

Armando also described the emotional phone call he had with his sister during the murder day, when Yolanda held police in a nine-hour standoff in the motel parking lot before finally giving up.

“I did speak to her when she was in the truck,” he said. “I told her, ‘Look, don’t do anything stupid. Don’t put the gun to your head. Do that for Dad and Mom. Don’t do it.’ And I cried, and cried, and cried. In my opinion, she wasn’t in her right mind—she was in a state of trauma.”

“The truth is, it’s my opinion that Yolanda did not kill Selena,” Armando added later in the interview.

During Selena’s murder trial, prosecutors proved the gun used to kill the singer couldn’t be fired accidentally because of its safety features, according to an archived Houston Chronicle article.

Yolanda was eligible for parole but was denied last Thursday (March 27), just days before the 30th anniversary of Selena’s death. Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles officials stated the convicted killer “poses a continuing threat to public safety.”

“While nothing can bring Selena back, this decision reaffirms that justice continues to stand for the beautiful life that was taken from us and from millions of fans around the world far too soon,” said a statement from Selena’s estate and her widower, Chris Perez, after the decision. “Selena’s legacy is one of love, music, and inspiration. She lived with joy, gave selflessly, and continues to uplift generations with her voice and her spirit.”

Telemundo also reported that Armando Saldívar is working to collect previously unseen evidence to support his sister’s defense. Yolanda’s next parole review is scheduled for March 2030.

Armando Saldívar, the brother of convicted killer Yolanda Saldívar, claims there’s more to the story behind Selena Quintanilla-Perez’s death. Speaking exclusively with Telemundo, Armando implied Selena’s 1995 shooting was actually an attack meant for Yolanda, and not the singer.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles