A fresh lawsuit has been brought against Will Smith, and his attorneys are already firing back, flatly rejecting the claims and denying any misconduct.
On December 30, professional violinist Brian King Joseph filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court naming Smith and his company, Treyball Studios Management, Inc., as defendants.
The filing accuses Smith of sexual harassment, wrongful termination, and retaliation connected to Joseph’s time performing on Smith’s global Based on a True Story tour in 2025.
According to the complaint, Joseph alleges that Smith engaged in conduct he describes as “grooming and priming” him for sexual exploitation after inviting him to join the tour toward the end of 2024.
The lawsuit focuses on an alleged incident in March 2025, when Joseph claims he returned to his hotel room in Las Vegas and noticed signs that someone had entered without forced entry. Among the details outlined in the complaint was a handwritten note that read,
“Brian, I’ll be back…just us,” paired with a heart and signed “Stone F,” along with several personal items Joseph says were not his.
Joseph claims that after reporting the incident to hotel staff, a local non-emergency police number, and Smith’s management team, he was later “shamed” by a member of the tour’s management and told his services were no longer required.
The lawsuit states that another violinist was then brought in to replace him. Joseph is seeking damages for what the filing describes as intense emotional distress, financial losses, damage to his reputation, and lasting mental health effects, including PTSD.
Smith’s attorney has strongly pushed back against the accusations. In a statement shared with People on January 1, Allen B. Grodsky said, “Mr. Joseph’s allegations concerning my client are false, baseless, and reckless.” The statement added, “They are categorically denied, and we will use all legal means available to address these claims and to ensure that the truth is brought to light.”
Just days before filing the lawsuit, Joseph appeared to allude to the situation in an Instagram video posted on December 25. Without mentioning Smith by name, he said he had been hired for a “major, major tour” and that certain events led to his dismissal after he spoke up about concerns.
“Getting fired or getting blamed or shamed or threatened or anything like that simply for reporting sexual misconduct or safety threats at work is not okay,” Joseph said. He added, “I know that there’s a lot of other people out there who have been afraid to speak out… and if that’s you, I see you.”
The lawsuit lands as Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, are already facing separate legal matters. Pinkett Smith is currently dealing with a pending $3 million lawsuit filed by former family associate Bilaal Salaam, who claims she threatened him during a 2021 confrontation and later carried out a retaliatory campaign against him.
The couple has publicly denied those allegations, with sources close to them previously characterizing the lawsuit as baseless and financially driven.
Both cases are still working their way through the courts.
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual assault or workplace harassment, support is available. In the U.S., confidential help can be reached through the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673) or online at rainn.org.
