Monday, February 16, 2026

America’s Next Top Model Star Miss J Alexander Shares That a Stroke Left Him Paralyzed

A standout star from America’s Next Top Model is speaking candidly about a serious health battle he kept out of the public eye for years.

As reported by Entertainment Weekly, legendary runway coach and fan favorite Miss J Alexander revealed that he suffered a stroke in late 2022 that left him paralyzed from the waist down.

Miss J Alexander, born Alexander Jenkins in the South Bronx, had already made his mark worldwide long before reality TV came calling. Discovered by Elite Model Management, he strutted the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier before shifting into coaching, mentoring supermodels like Naomi Campbell and Kimora Lee Simmons.

His impact stretched across powerhouse fashion houses such as Chanel, Alexander McQueen, and Valentino. So by the time he stepped onto America’s Next Top Model, he’d already spent years perfecting the art of the runway walk.

On the series, Miss J became unforgettable. With his sharp critiques and unmistakable flair, he coached contestants through multiple cycles before eventually joining the judging panel. A nickname that started as a simple mix-up stuck — and soon became part of the show’s DNA. For many fans, Miss J wasn’t just a mentor; he was the runway’s ultimate authority.

That’s why his latest revelation hits so hard. In Reality Check: Inside America’s Next Top Model, Miss J opens up about suffering a stroke on December 27, 2022.

“I had a stroke. I woke up, I didn’t know where I was, other than the hospital,” he shares. He recalls spending weeks in a coma and regaining consciousness unable to walk or speak. “I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t talk… it was emotional. I cried.”

Through it all, he says former colleagues Nigel Barker and Jay Manuel showed up for him during recovery. Looking back, Miss J admits their visits stirred deep emotions tied to their shared history. “I cried because I just missed them so much.”

When asked whether Tyra Banks had visited, Miss J revealed she hadn’t at that point, saying, “She just sent me a text that she wants to come… but no, not yet.”

The docuseries also revisits the long-discussed 2012 exits of Miss J, Barker, and Manuel. Manuel says he felt “betrayed” by how everything unfolded, while Barker describes the experience as “disappointing.”

Still, Miss J is focused on what’s next. “I miss being the queen of the runway,” he says. “I taught models how to walk… and now I can’t walk—not yet.”

And he’s not counting himself out. “It’s not over for me yet.”

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles