Sunday, August 23, 2026

Patti LaBelle’s Nephew Says Family Dispute Resulted in ‘Lifetime Banishment’

Patti LaBelle’s 65-year-old nephew and adopted son, William “Byl” Holte, claims a long-running family disagreement over his political beliefs eventually led to him being removed from the singer’s life. In a series of social media posts, Holte alleged that LaBelle asked him to leave her home, where he had been living without paying rent, following a 2019 dispute. He described the years-long separation as a “LIFETIME BANISHMENT.”

According to The Grio, Holte said the conflict reached a breaking point around Christmas 2019, shortly after LaBelle informed him that he had to move out of the home they had shared for 12 years. He claimed a heated argument broke out among family members during a political discussion about his support for Donald Trump, and said his response upset relatives, ultimately leading to him being forced to leave.

“Her family instantly attacked me and threw me out of her house,” Holte wrote. He also claimed that LaBelle took issue with him later speaking publicly about their relationship. “My punishment for using my 1st Amendment right this way was LIFETIME BANISHMENT,” he added.

Holte says the estrangement has affected more than just his bond with LaBelle. He claimed that since the “New Attitude” singer stopped communicating with him, people within her circle have also distanced themselves from him.

Although Holte said he has since distanced himself from politics, he still claimed that his political views continue to create tension within his family.

LaBelle has not publicly addressed Holte’s recent accusations. However, she previously spoke about their political differences during a 2020 interview with Oprah Magazine, sharing a much different perspective on their relationship at the time.

“I love Billy. He has a Republican mind. And, guess what? I don’t,” LaBelle said. “But do I hate him for having the mind that he has? No, I can’t.”

The singer also suggested that there had already been a previous disagreement involving Holte and her name. She said he apologized and explained that she chose to move forward rather than permanently hold the mistake against him.

“You give people chances,” she said, adding, “I decided to take the high road with him by letting him know that you make mistakes—but when my name comes in that mistake, that’s a no-no.”

The family conflict comes during an otherwise busy period for Patti LaBelle. The 82-year-old revealed in June that she had spent about a year working on her first R&B album since 2005’s Classic Moments.

She has also recently looked back on her six-decade career, from admitting that she initially had “no clue” what “Lady Marmalade” was about to embracing the “legend” status she believes she has earned.

LaBelle also reached a deal with Primary Wave last year involving royalty income from her extensive music catalog.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles